THE SEVEN FOLD SPIRIT
Just as there is ONE God who is THREE, so the one Spirit can be called a seven fold Spirit because of the Seven Figures of the Holy Spirit used in the Bible and the Seven Works of the Holy Spirit.
FIGURES OF THE HOLY SPIRIT
Many times in the Bible the Holy Spirit is referred to by a “Figure” in order to help us understand some of His ministries and works. Listed below are some of these Figures; this does not mean that every time the figure is mentioned in the Bible it represents the Holy Spirit, but in the places it does it will help us to understand Him and His work.
- DOVE Matt 3:16 17 Jn 1:32 (When Jesus was Baptized)
A) Pure (Acceptable as a sacrifice). First mentioned in the Bible when Noah used one to see if the water had dried up. It wouldn’t land on carcasses like the Raven. (Remember that our body is the Temple of the Holy Spirit; keep it pure).
B) Peaceful (Symbols of Peace). Matt 10:16 says be “harmless as doves”. A Dove does not have a “gall” so they don’t carry bitterness; Christians ought to be that way.
- WIND (Pneuma) Ez 37:1 14 (Dry Bones) Jn 3:8 (New Birth). The wind’s origin and direction are mysterious; so the Spirit is mysterious in Convicting of Sin (Jn 16:8) and regenerating (Tit 3:5)
- FIRE Acts 2:2 3 (Pentecost) (Beware of “strange fire” Num 3:4)
A) Fire gives light Spirit illuminates the Word of God Jn 14:26
B) Fire gives warmth A cold Church is bad, a lukewarm one makes God sick!! If the Spirit is present you’ll have warmth.
C) Fire purifies burns off dross I Cor 3:16 17
- WATER Jn 7:37 39 Is 44:3
A) Essential to Life (See I Cor 12:13)
B) Essential to Growth Ps 1:3 Job 8:11 Carnal Christians aren’t Spirit controlled.
C) Produces Power (To run “wheel”, to carry, etc). Acts 1:8 I Cor 2:4
- OIL Acts 10:38 Luke 4:18 (Used to anoint)
A) Helps prevent sickness James 5:14 (With prayer)
B) Used to make Light (in a lamp) We are the “Light of the World” because of the power of the Spirit.
- FINGER OF GOD Compare Matt 12:28 with Luke 11:20
A) In Inspiration Ex 31:18, Deut 9:10 God’s “Fingers” for the Bible were “Holy Men of God who spake as they were moved by the Spirit”.
B) In Power over Demons Luke 11:20 (God’s finger has all the power we need to defeat Satan!!!)
C) Judgment Dan 5: When God pronounced Judgment against Belshazzar. Ex 8:19 When Pharoah hardened his heart .
- TEMPLE OF GOD- 1Co 6:19
Figures are simply “Lights in the window” to show you Who the Holy Spirit is and what He can accomplish. Do you see Him?? Or have you “drawn the Blinds”
THE SEVEN FOLD MINISTRY OF THE HOLY SPIRIT
Rev 4:5 And out of the throne proceeded lightnings and thunderings and voices: and there were seven lamps of fire burning before the throne, which are the seven Spirits of God.
The “Rodney Dangerfield” of Religious Life would have to be the Holy Spirit because He “don’t get no respect”. Some churches talk about Him all the time and fan the flames of zeal into emotional wildfire where gibberish and jumping are the ultimate goal. Other churches refuge to acknowledge the Spirit as part of the God head except in their creeds and they know nothing of His power or person. Their services are dead dry human effort aimed at maintaining the dignity of their dead worship each week.
Our goal is to build a Friendly Fervent Fundamental Church where God is worshipped and taught about in an atmosphere of reverence but not rigidity. We believe this means worshipping in Spirit and in truth. Sometimes this means we sit in silent awe of His holiness and sometimes it means we shout in amazement at His works. Sometimes we shout a hearty “Amen” to the Word and sometimes we groan a silent “O Me” for our wickedness; but, above all else, we realize our need of correctly understanding and applying the work of the Holy Spirit.
In order for us to be correct in our dealings with the Holy Spirit we need to know Who He is, What He does in and for us, and how we can be used of Him to advance the kingdom of God. Most of this can be understood if we understand His 7 fold ministry.
CONVICTING Jn 16:7 11 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; it is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you, and when he is come, he will reprove (Convict) the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment; Of sin, because they believe not on me; Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more; Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.
The work of the Holy Spirit in conviction involves:
- A) Showing us Sin “They believe not on me” (Jn 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned; but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.). He convicts us by showing us that sin is not just “badness” but UNBELIEF!
- B) Shows us righteousness “Because I go to the Father and ye see me no more”. Jesus kept the Law perfectly and made the sacrifice for our sins. His work is now finished and He no longer needs to be on the earth. His resurrection shows us that His sacrifice was accepted so that the Holy Spirit can point out that our righteousnesses are as filthy rags while showing us the way to righteousness in Christ.
- C) Shows us Judgment “Because the Prince of this world is judged” The “Prince of this world” is Satan and he has already been judged because of his rebellion. Thus God shows us that although sin may not receive immediate punishment yet it will ultimately be judged. The Spirit brings this thought to sinners so that they will realize they can’t “Get by with” anything.
REGENERATING Jn 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
- A) The Spirit must CONVICT us of sin so we will seek to leave it
- B) The Spirit must CALL us to Christ Jn 6:44 No man can come to me except the Father (through the ministry of the Spirit) which hath sent me draw him:
- C) The Spirit must CONVERT us It is He that makes us New Creatures in Christ (II Cor 5:17) by His supernatural work within us. This is a mysterious work (Jn 3:8 the wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth; so is everyone that is born of the Spirit) but a necessary work (Jn 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.)
SEALING Ep 1:13…in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, which is the earnest (down payment) of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.
The Holy Spirit is God’s “Brand” upon His children (Rom 8:9 Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.). This lets Satan know that we belong to God even though our bodies haven’t been redeemed yet. (Satan will try to copy this in the end time by giving a physical mark “of the beast”).
RESTRAINING I Thess 2:7 8 For the mystery of iniquity doth already work; only he who now letteth will let (restrains will restrain) , until he be taken out of the way. And then shall the wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming: The Holy Spirit is the only reason Satan does not kill or torture all Christians today. The Holy Spirit restrains him so that he can only do that that God allows (Remember Job). This is clearly illustrated in I Pet 2:9 where a “peculiar people” means a surrounded people that cannot be attacked except as God allows.
BAPTIZING I Cor 12:13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body. When we are saved the Holy Spirit places us into the Body of Christ. At this “placing into” the Body we each receive a gift that will help the entire Body as we work together (I Cor 12:
INDWELLING I Cor 3:16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
This indwelling includes such things as:
- A) Making our body a Temple I Cor 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? (We should keep this temple undefiled and holy
- B) Bearing witness to our sonship Rom 8:16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God; And if Children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint heirs with Christ.
- C) Interceding for us Rom 8:26 27 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities; for we know now what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.
FILLING Ep 5:18 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;
- A) This will put a Song on your lips vs 19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord; Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
- B) And Submission in your life vs 21 Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God.
- Affects Family life: “Husbands, love your wife as Christ” “Wives, reverence your husband” “Children, obey your parents”
- Affects Business Life: “Masters, treat workers right” “Servants, work as to the Lord”
- Affects Spiritual Life: We learn to defeat Satan as we put on the whole armor of God.
God has help for you today. It is not “Pie in the sky” HOPE but the Holy Spirit’s HELP. God is able to Save you today and give you the power to become the person He wants you to become.