LOVE WITHOUT DISSIMULATION
Let love be without dissimulation. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good. (Romans 12:9)
Dissimulation is a Greek word meaning without hypocrisy so Paul is telling us to have non-hypocritical love. I want to look at the various stages of love and see how we can experience love “without dissimulation”.
1) Coupling Love- Desire for companionship or to satisfy physical needs (First came to God because I wanted something done about the desire and control of sin).
2) Compulsive / Corrupted Love- “Dream World Love” that expects your partner to be perfect. Jealous love that wants to control (Had to learn that God’s people have pimples and it is God’s House to control, not mine).
3) Compelled / Circumstances Love- Staying together for the sake of the kids or for economic reasons (Some attend church because of the social stigma that would result if they quit. Others because of business connections).
4) Comfortable Love- Satisfied with each other- finish each other’s sentences (Many Christians are lukewarm. They show up at church and go through the motions because that is what they have been taught to do).
5) Committed Love- Take vows serious- Til death do us part. (Committed to a “heart that burns within us” when we walk and talk with God).