NEW YEAR GOALS FOR GOD
Rev. Mike Jones
Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus (Phil 3:13-14).
As we begin a new year, we, like Paul, need to determine to accomplish God’s will for our life. Let’s look at several guidelines to help us as we Pursue our Goals for God.
1. DOES THE GOAL GLORIFY GOD?- Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God (1 Cor 10:31). Many of the goals we want to accomplish will glorify our selves- lose weight, be better workers, etc. Do you have a Goal that will glorify God and make you a better Christian??
2. IS THE GOAL GOD’S PLAN FOR YOUR LIFE? David wanted to build the temple but God wanted Solomon to do that. Paul wanted to go to Asia and preach to the Jews. God wanted him in Europe preaching to the Gentiles. Is it God’s Plan or your plan??
3. WILL THE GOAL DRAW YOU CLOSER TO GOD OR TEMPT YOU TO STRAY FROM GOD’S PLAN FOR YOU. Can you stand the stress and temptation of the accomplishing the Goal? Some people want to work with drug addicts but they would be tempted to take drugs. God may use you to help drug addicts but in an entirely different area than you want.
4. WILL THE GOAL BUILD UP OTHER PARTS OF THE
BODY OF CHRIST OR ARE YOU BUILDING YOUR OWN LITTLE KINGDOM? The man who made the world famous Stradivarius
Violins couldn’t play in concert but he could build great violins. (Most church
divisions come when people build THEIR kingdom instead of GOD’S Kingdom.)
5. ARE YOU DEVELOPING AS THE GOAL DEVELOPS SO THE GOAL WILL HAVE A FOUNDATION OF STABILITY? Enlarge the place of thy tent, and let them stretch forth the curtains of thine habitations: spare not, lengthen thy cords, and strengthen thy stakes; (Isa 54:2). Never stop learning!
6. DO OTHER PEOPLE ACKNOWLEDGE YOUR GOAL AS GODLY? (Then fourteen years after I went up again to Jerusalem with Barnabas, and took Titus with me also. And I went up by revelation, and communicated unto them that gospel which I preach among the Gentiles, but privately to them which were of reputation, lest by any means I should run, or had run, in vain– Galatians 2:1-2). Not Public Opinion but confirmation by other brothers.
7. ARE YOU WILLING TO WORK ON YOUR GOAL UNTIL IT’S TIME FOR FRUIT? And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not. (Gal 6:9)
8. ARE YOU WILLING TO QUIT YOUR GOAL IF DIRECTED BY GOD? Paul “Finished his course”. Do not let your goal become your God.
9. DO YOU HAVE ENOUGH FAITH IN YOUR DREAM TO MAKE IT PUBLIC? Have a Dream, Tell a dream, do a dream. Public proclamation leads to consistent commitment.
10. IS YOUR GOAL SOMETHING YOU WANT TO BE REMEMBERED BY? By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaketh (Heb 11:4).
Are you just running life’s “rat race” or are you pursuing a Goal for God? What a horrible thing to come to die and then find you have spent your life “spinning your wheels”.